Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lapband vs. Eating Disorders

I named this post Lapband vs. eating disorders because that is my fight with the weight loss. I got the lapband done which as Dr. Bass has indicated over and over again, is just a tool to help you lose weight, you still have to do all the hard work. Its not a quick fix or the easy way out by any means. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have went with the gastric bypass but then I think of stories I have heard from other people and reading online of the number of people who have died from doing it. It is a little too drastic for me and I promised my family I wouldn't go to that extreme.
I saw Dr. Bass on Thursday and I gained 3 pounds. The band is NOT the problem here, its me and my eating disorder. The band didnt' fix the compulsive over eating and the binging and food addiction. That is still there and I'm struggling with it every single day.
I eat things I'm not supposed to eat and I am still having a big problem with not drinking with my meals. Everyone who knows me knows that I have a bottle of green tea with me at ALL times and its hard to put it down for just 1 hour. Maybe another addiction???
I have to get back on track and follow all of the instructions from top to bottom and I know I will be very successful. I'm a little bothered by the fact that next Monday will be 6 months since I had the surgery and I'm only down 17 pounds. Not happy with that at all but only one person to blame for it and that is ME!!! I have to get my eating under control and not sure how to do it.
I'm going to start back tomorrow measuring all of my food (which I haven't done since surgery), I need to invest in a small food scale and eat the proper amounts. Sometimes I can eat and sometimes I can't, sometimes it gets stuck (not eating it well enough could be the problem) and it comes back up.
I can't eat in the mornings at all, the band is tight and I have to wait until around 10 or after to have my first meal. I have found also that I can't eat after 7 in the evening or it makes me sick too. Salads are going so well so I have pushed those aside until later when I can try them again. I'm staying away from the breads, potatoes, etc. that I'm not supposed to have but I will confess that I did eat some chocolate cake and I know that is a NO NO big time!
I will post the end of next week and let you know my progress. Going to weigh in the morning and see how I do all week.
Good luck to all of you that have had the surgery that are reading my blog, please don't be discouraged by anything I write because THE BAND IS NOT THE PROBLEM, its ME!!!
If you do what the doctor tells you to do, you will be very successful with the lapband, I know several people that did the surgery around the same time I did and they have lost up to 50 pounds already, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and you can tell by the progress they are making.
Until next time, have a great week!!!

1 comment:

Carolyn Albro said...

Awww hunny : ( Big hugs. Being aware and admitting you have a problem are the first steps. Keep that in the front of your mind. You'll get there.