Sunday, December 21, 2008

Making it through my family Christmas




Yesterday was my family Christmas. We do it the Saturday before Christmas every year so everyone that is married or has a significant other can visit on Christmas day. This year we had it at my niece Carries house in Sebring. It was her first time having the whole family, I think about 23 of us, at her new house and I think she has decided she will let mom do it again next year. She said she was stressed all week. lol.... It is a big job.


I had something I had never had before and YES, I was able to eat and enjoy my holiday with my family without being on broth and V8 juice. (woohoo)..... They cooked "trash can turkeys", I put a photo above of how they cook them. There is a stake with a little grate on it that goes in the ground and they put aluminim foil all around it on the ground, then the turkey is put down on the stake and rests on the grate. A brand new (not used, lol) metal trash can goes over the top of the turkey and sits on the alum. foil. Then they place charcoal around the entire trash can and on top of it. The turkey cooks in 90 minutes and its the best turkey I have ever had in my life. Juicy, tender and the flavor was out of this world. I can't believe how brown they came out too. There was alot of other food and when i made my plate my brothers said they have never seen my plate look so empty but I was satisfied with what I had to eat and it was nice getting to enjoy it with them.


My niece gave me a big bag of turkey to bring home too so I'll be enjoying it a little longer. I had a good day food wise, didnt' really crave the mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes with marshmallows or Carries famous homemade mac and cheese. The cookies didnt' bother me either so all in all it was a great day.

No comments: